Lessons from living on the road
with a 2 year old...
Since we have been on the road full time, I have eliminated many things as I try to only carry what is necessary. It is amazing what we really don't need! There are some things we can't live without however. Here is my list of travel must haves for the road...
1. Sleeping Essentials
- Travel cot - as we are on the road many things change for Araya. One thing that stays consistent, however is her bed. Along with the cot I pack:
- A Thick blanket - used to pad her bed
- Bed sheet - at the moment "Frozen" is the flavor of choice
- Sleep sack - the best travel accessory which eliminates the need for cover
- Sleeping companions - 3 sheep
- 2 sets of pajamas
2. Eating Essentials
- Folding high chair
- Washable bib
- Sippy cup
In the past I carried 2 of every thing, but that really isn't necessary. If you are willing to wash everything after use, having 1 set is more than enough.
As for the folding high chair, pay special attention to the shape when it is collapsed. We actually find this one difficult to pack in the trunk of the car.
3. Travel Essentials
- Stroller - lightweight and simple. Find one that you are comfortable with. Our stroller is a bit of a fascination to me. It has traveled to numerous cities and countries and yet the wheels remain!
- Diaper bag - again, there is no need to overload. Here are my essentials:
- 4 diapers
- wet wipes
- large cloth - used as a changing pad
- small cloth - spills and accidents
- 2 toy cars
- Built in booster seat - this is a great feature of our diaper bag for eating out
4. Entertainment Essentials
- One yellow and black toy bag
If it doesn't fit in the bag, it doesn't go. I generally make sure that Araya has:
- Toy cars
- Coloring book
- Toys of the week
5. Everyday Essentials
- Cosmetic bag - Again, everything and more that Araya needs fits into this small bag.
- Medicine - teething, fever, cuts & bruises etc
- Baby massage oil
- Nail clippers
- Comb / Hairbrush
- Hair accessories
- Spare pacifier
- Welida diaper creme (I swear by it!)
As for miscellaneous things:
I would love to hear what you and your children simply can't live without on the road...